Thursday, August 9, 2012

Hello 4th grade Friends!  This year we will be becoming experts in multiplication.

This website is going to be a tool to help us learn about and practice multiplication.
To get started please watch the video below that will give you a basic understanding of multiplication.




If you don't know your multiplication facts please begin practicing them at home.  We will be working with them at school quite a bit.  However, you need to practice, practice, practice to memorize them!

Your first blog assignment is to list for me a time where you used multiplication or you saw the chance to use multiplication.  
For example:  This summer I want to get a fence for my backyard.  I called the fence company and they said that the fence sections were going to cost about $170 each and that I would need 11 of them.  
To figure out how much this was going to cost I could add:
170+170+170+170+170+170+170+170+170+170+170= ?
But multiplication is a quick way to add the same number again and again so I multiplied:
170 x 11 = 1,870   (Yikes this fence is expensive!  My doggies better like it!)

Can you tell me about a time you could have used repeat addition or multiplication to solve a real world problem? 





No comments:

Post a Comment